Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 7/8

¡Bien Venidos a Cusco!
 Our flight was short but accommodating. Although the plane was small, there were many empty seats so we were able to lounge comfortably. When we landed, the first thing we all noticed were the sheer amount of orange and blue lights dotting the mountains that encased the airport. We had finally reached Cusco. After grabbing our luggage, we hopped onto our designated bus and drove to the school we would be living in. There, we were met with comfy beds and a delicious dinner of mashed potatoes and chicken fingers breaded with quinoa. We were introduced to our new Globeaware guide, Rocio, and she explained the work we would be doing at the school. Immediately after, we met our buddies and got to know them better. At nine, we went back to our rooms and slept in preparation for our work the next day. The next morning, we awoke to a hearty breakfast of corn flakes, strawberry yogurt with granola, and eggs. When we finished eating, we split into three groups: one for cleaning and painting the kitchen, another for creating and decorating a living room, and the last for clearing out the sewing room and dusting off the library books. Meanwhile, a couple of girls left to help their buddies with homework and a few others went into the city with Rocio to buy paint for the rooms. we settled down for a big lunch consisting of pumpkin soup, spinach tempura, and steak. Halfway through lunch, our other Globeaware guide arrived. His name is Fernando and he is a student here in Peru. After lunch we grabbed our money and took a bus to the biggest market in Cusco. There we shopped and bargained our way through the different stalls containing sweaters, socks, bags, keychains, headbands and many other items. Later, we went to a much quieter market and shopped some more. We went back to the school, had some wonderful fried rice for dinner, and rested for a bit up in our rooms. At eight that night, we brought out the gifts and toys we had packed for our buddies and spent time playing games, making bracelets, and chatting. After an hour, we all went back to our rooms to get ready for bed. Tomorrow we hit the roads and head for The Sacred Valley.

the Peru Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment